Corona virus

Contrary to contemporary belief Corona virus is not a new entity. In school books, Corona virus is described as causing Common Cold to the extent of 25%; the remaining 75% being Rhino virus.

No photo description available.

COVID-19 may be a more virulent strain of Corona virus. Perhaps history of burried literature on Corona virus would contribute to development of Vaccine for new virulent strain.

 

Corona virus was first found in 1960 as causing infectious bronchitis in chicken.  Same years two strains of Corona virus were found associated with common cold in human beings. A virulent strain SARC was found in 2003. MERS and some more virulent forms appeared later during current century.

The current deadly virus was first named 2019-nCoV, then SARS-CoV2, and finally COVID-19. Most of these virulent strains are associated with severe respiratory tract infections.

Corona virus are pleomarphic spherical particles with bulbous spherical projections, about 12 nm in diameter.

 

In infection, viral spike glycoprotein attaches to complementary host cell receptor. Host cell receptor is the angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE 2). Multiplication is by cleavage and replication.

 

Human Corona viruses

Corona viruses vary significantly in producing disease. MERS-CoV can kill over 30% of those infected.  Some are relatively harmless, such as the common cold.

Corona viruses cause colds with fever, and sore throat from swollen adenoids.

Occur primarily in the winter and early spring seasons.

Coronaviruses can produce pneumonia of two types :-

1.       Viral pneumonia

2.       Secondary bacterial pneumonia

Coronaviruses can produce bronchitis of two types :-

1.       Viral bronchitis

2.       Secondary bacterial bronchitis

 

SARS-CoV discovered in 2003

1.       causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)

2.       has a unique pathogenesis because it causes both upper and lower respiratory tract infections.

 

Seven strains of human coronaviruses (4 mild and 3 severe)

A.      Mild strains

1.       Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43)

2.       Human coronavirus HKU1

3.       Human coronavirus NL63 (HCoV-NL63, New Haven coronavirus)

4.       Human coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E)

B.      Severe strains

1.       Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV), previously known as novel coronavirus 2012 and HCoV-EMC

2.       Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV or SARS-classic)

3.       Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), previously known as 2019-nCoV or novel coronavirus 2019


 


 Contents

 

Chapter

 

Abstract

01

Introduction

02

Evolution

03

Corona pandemic data in India

04

Headline facts

05

Corona virus

06

Corona virus Pandemics

07

Disease\s caused

08

Spread

09

Symptoms

10

Complications

11

Prevention

12

Vaccine

13

Treatment

14

Immunity boosters

 

Bibliography